Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The book is boring

I had very high hopes for this book. I really liked the peace sign on the cover, and the man with the military war gun. I thought this was going to be a very strong, perhaps hippyish anti-war book- I was very wrong. Although I think the books has some very strong implicit arguments about why war is wrong, I also think that it’s, unfortunately, incredibly boring. I feel terribly sorry for Joe. All he has to do is sit in bed and think about how his life could have been, with nothing to do but think. Also, I don’t perceive Joe as a very intelligent man, therefore there is only so much an unintelligent man can think about for years and years. I think it’s awful that this is what goes on in war, but it makes for an incredibly boring book.

1 comment:

Maddie said...

You just broke my soul. Was it the writing style you found boring? Joe's endless contemplations? I thought his musings and his thoughts were horrifying and sort of beautiful. I especially enjoyed his insights into a "little guy's" life. And I really liked his spiel at the end of the second part. I never considered that he wasn't that intelligent. What gave you that impression? Very provocative post, Annalee!