Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Wachtel responce

I, surprisingly, have not had a confrontation about race that was set in a harmful manner; however, I have had a confrontation about a prejudice with someone whom I don’t wish to name. This person was not prejudice in a harmful or dangerous way, in other words, she didn’t pose as a harmful threat towards those whom she was prejudice towards, but she certainly had prejudice thoughts. This person was prejudice toward people of a different religion.
She was very devout to her religion, and believed that anyone who didn’t believe in her religion was going to hell. She would push her religion on people, and talk badly about those who weren’t worshiping in the same religion. I had this encountering when I was very young, and she was telling me how if I didn’t do “x”, “y”, and “z”, then I would go to hell, and so would everyone else if they didn’t. Being two years old, I didn’t try to argue much, but I do think I made a difference. I cried, and when she became upset and asked me why I was crying, I said (I don’t remember exactly what), but something close to, “That’s not very nice”, and resumed crying. Not many people can take making a two year old cry and be completely guilt-free. By saying and doing what I did, I think I made her question if not her beliefs, then at least her actions. Since then, she hasn’t said anything like that to me. I’m not sure if I really changed her beliefs at two, but I’m proud to say that I at least changed her actions toward others.
After reading Wachtel’s article, I believe I understand the experience differently. Most people don’t get through to a racist person because they are making accusations themselves against them. By appealing to someone’s emotions and making them question their morals themselves, it will be more affective.

No comments: